tomorrow is bike to work day, and i am excited.
when i started riding a bike to work i never imagined how much i would get into it.
there are some days when j1 has a softball game or something else comes up that requires me being picked up right at 5 pm at work, and leaving my bike behind, and then if we get out of whatever activity it is too late, i can not retrieve my bike and ride home, which means being dropped off at work the next morning.
it’s not the worst thing in the world, but i really really miss my ride in on those days.
so tomorrow is ride to work day and i am geeked about it.
free breakfast provided by the south bend chocolate company and scores of other bikers all on the circle raising awareness of the benefits of commuting by bike.
i like the list on the INbikePort site:
- Fight pollution
- Automobiles produce toxic substances that pollute the ground, air and water
- Burning fossil fuels creates CO2 that contributes to global warming
- Automobiles also produce noise pollution
- Stay fit
- Bicycle commuting allows you to include your workout in your daily schedule
- Riding a bike instead of your car sitting in traffic is less stressful
- Staying in better shape will decrease your chances of getting sick
- Avoid traffic delays
- Off-road trails, bike lanes and wide curb lanes allow you to ride past traffic
- Bike commuting takes less time when you account for car parking and traffic
- Longer rides can result in less traffic and more enjoyment of your commute
- Save money
- Maintenance costs for your automobile will decrease, as will your gas bill
- You will save money on parking (and tickets)
- You won’t have to have a membership to a gym to workout
- Enjoy your commute
- Arrive at work refreshed and full of energy; ride off stress after work
- Commuting under your own power gives you a sense of accomplishment
- Take the long way home and ride through a park or along a local river
one thing i love is, during lunchtime, going and riding around the canal:
especially useful on the canal is my new “i heart my bike” bell. (buy your own!)
and now i’m going to enjoy my wine and my girl and say goodnight.